To Everything There is a Season

Ecclesiastes 3: 1-2a:  "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens: a time to be born and a time to die..."  Amazing that Solomon would begin this favorite chapter reminding us that life starts...and life ends!

I went to the funeral of a friend last night.  She was only 5 years older than I am...and I believe she died of a broken heart.  Her heart was broken because the man she had loved for over 35 years had gone to heaven eight weeks ago and she felt she just could not cope in this world without him.  The stress and fear of living without her partner was too much for her.  She just wanted to go to sleep and wake up with him...and with her Savior.

The funeral was beautiful.  Young people shared music and poetry.  Family members sang of the God that their sister and mother had loved.  A former pastor sent a beautiful letter of remembrance and was so spot on with what he said about Jamie and her ability to make people feel welcome.  I know that's what she did for us when we knew her.  And the sermon showed such sensitivity to who Jamie was...allowing us to grieve her loss, celebrate her home-going to heaven and search our hearts so that we'd know where we plan to spend our "immortality".  It was refreshing to be reminded that this life really is just a brief trip...a stepping stone into our "real life" with the Lord.

I only knew Jamie for a brief time in my life.  Twenty-four months is not long for a friendship in a life that has spanned over fifty years.  But Jamie made lasting memories during those 24 months...laughter, tears, crisis, transparency, peace-making, love, concern...there just wasn't anything she wasn't willing to share during that time.  And talent...oh, how artistic she was.  I tried so hard not to be jealous and to just bask in the fact that she we willing to share all that talent with us.  I can remember laughing till we cried...I can remember crying till our hearts seemed broken.  I remember feeling loved in her presence.

I think what makes me sad about Jamie's passing is that I had to lose her to understand her true value in my life...and I really can't stand that about myself.  I get so busy and caught up in the details of my life that I don't purpose to pursue the relationships that matter sometimes.  I'm also sad because I don't think Jamie had a clue that she was valuable to so many of us.  We forget to tell people what we truly think of them when we love them...or maybe we choose not to tell them for whatever reason.  But I want the people who have added value to my life to understand how much I love and appreciate them for it.  And I pray that when people gather at my funeral some day they will know I added value to their life.  I want to be a person who builds up, cheers, comforts and helps to guide others through these days.  They aren't easy days...there's lots of nervousness and unrest and unease and seemingly chaos all around.  I want people to see my life and know a peace that passes understanding.  But more than anything I want them to know I love them.

If you are reading this, you are probably one of those people who HAS added value to my life.  Can I just say thank you...thank you for making me a stronger, better, richer, wiser person!!!

I know that on this side of 50 I will face more loss than I faced on the other side.  I wish we could know when we're young the value of friendship and what it adds to our life.  Jamie taught me what sacrifice was in choosing to give up the "easy life" of growing older to take care of her young granddaughter.  It was a sacrifice for Jamie.  It was hard work.  And she often grew tired of it...but she never gave up.  And I don't think she gave up on life...I just think her heart longed to be at peace and rest.

Jamie...I'm sorry I didn't tell you how much I love you and what wonderful memories you've given me.  Rest in peace, dear sister.  Your worrying days are over.  Thank You, Lord, for taking her home.  Please comfort Kristie, David and Gabby as they now move into their new chapters of their lives...chapters that won't have the wisdom, comfort and strength of strong, godly parents to guide them.  Help them to remember their mother and father and all that they stood for and taught them.  Let them find peace and comfort in Your arms.

Comments

  1. Lauren: Your blog is very nice! You are a bright spot in a world that does, at times, seem chaotic!

    Thanks for sharing your heart.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautifully written - WOW! YOU are a light - I'm sure, to everyone you meet. Thank you for the reminder and for encouraging us through your words - to take the time to share our feelings with others, letting them know how special they are in our lives.

    I'm sorry for your loss...may God comfort YOU too through this time.

    Keeping it Personal,
    Teri Johnson
    http://terijohnson.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tonight I Met Jesus

I've Seen His Glory