Suicide

At 2:00 this morning I began a conversation with a young man on FB...a young man who has been a friend of our family for a long time.  A young man who has made a lifetime of mistakes in 23 years...over and over and over again.  He was trying to commit suicide. 

Dan brought his posts to my attention and I was able to engage him in conversation.  I was  back and forth with 9-1-1 because we couldn't figure out where he was.  His writing became almost incoherent after about an hour and a half and I was so frightened that we were going to lose him.  I continued to beg him for an address...but then I realized I needed to make sure he was prepared to meet his Maker. I asked him "do you know Jesus" and he answered, "only because of you". 

I sat back in my chair a little stunned...he knew Jesus only because we'd been a part of his life.  And those words have continued to haunt me.  How many people know who Jesus is because of one person or family in their life? 

He finally made the "mistake" (I call this God's intervention) of calling me and I was able to get him to answer enough questions to figure out where he was.  I got him to agree to start walking towards home and I'd get someone to come get him.  I got off the phone and called 9-1-1.  The Sheriff's dept. called back at 4:00 to let me know they had him and were taking him to OGH for evaluation. 

This morning, the woman whose home he was in called and in desparation asked if I knew where he was.  She woke up and discovered the conversation on FB and was desparate to know if he was okay.  She's been to the hospital to check on him...he's being evaluated by a psychologist.  In all likelihood, when he's released, he will be taken into custody...he's been avoiding his parole officer for months. 

It's such a sad story...23 years old and ready to end his life...feeling rejected by the world.  Please pray for my friend.  Please pray that the Jesus he knows would become his strength and shield in a world that hurts people without regard to their heart.  This young man's life has been painful from the get-go.

I thank God this morning that we were able to show him Truth at some point in his life.  Lord, help his head knowldege to become heart knowledge. 

I hurt this morning.  I hurt for his fear.  I hurt for his loneliness.  I hurt for his humiliation and pain. 

But I also rejoice.  I rejoice for a God Who intervenes when we are out to destroy ourselves.  I rejoice for God's timing...for Dan's heart and his spirit of discernment in calling my attention to what was going on.  We were up late because we were not going to have to get up early this morning...for the first time in three weeks.  I rejoice because this morning I can hear the birds singing outside and the sound of our kitten's purr as she sits on the top of my chair watching me type.  I rejoice because my friend still has the opportunity to wake in the mornings...and hear the birds sing...and he has time to find out that focusing on others helps us stop focusing on our own pains and problems and allowing them to become so big we think we can't handle them.  I rejoice because I have friends to turn to...family that has always loved me and never rejected me...and a God Who remains faithful moment after moment after moment. 

Please, Lord...work in his life...work in the lives of those who know him.  Become His Influence...become His Love...become His Security...become His Answer.

And, Lord...give me the courage to be that person in someone else's life who helps them to know You!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tonight I Met Jesus

I've Seen His Glory