Valuing the Important


My Dear, Precious Holden:

As my first grandson you’ve given me more gifts than any child has ever given me, even my own children.  With them I had to be so “responsible”, but with you and your cousins I just get to enjoy.  Right now your mommy has trusted you to wonderful Dr. Leonard who has been watching over you since you were a baby.  He convinced your mommy to let you grow as big and strong as possible before he worked on repairing a hole in your heart.  And now you ARE big and you ARE strong (you even fought the doctors when they tried to put you to sleep today.  That made your mommy cry…but that’s because she loves you so much).  You are sound asleep and don’t even know something so important is happening inside of you right now.  This is a day we’ve all known was coming since the day you were born, and we’re ready to know that your heart will be repaired so that you can continue to grow big and strong and have the beautiful life that God has planned for you.

But I want you to know something.  Even though you heart had a hole in it, your heart has been perfect since God sent you to your mommy and she shared you with us.  Your heart is so perfect that every time someone gets an “owwie”, you know to give them a kiss right away to make it better.  Your heart is so perfect that if you see someone crying, you immediately want to give them a hug till they feel better.  Your heart is so perfect that you know how to make your baby cousin laugh and that makes you laugh.  Your heart is so perfect that if you share something with one person in a room, you make sure you share something with everyone in the room.  Your heart is so perfect that you wake every day with a smile and in the mood to dance because you know a new day has begun.  Your heart is so perfect that you sing praise songs in church with everyone.  Your heart is so perfect that EVERY TIME you see Elmo you act surprised and you say, “Thanks!!!” to anyone who found him for you.  Your heart is so perfect that you shake the mens’ hands and kiss the ladies’ hands at church on Sunday.  Your heart is so perfect that you are so proud of anything and everything you accomplish…even if it’s something you shouldn’t do.  Your heart is so perfect that you know couch cushions are much more fun stacked on the floor.  Your heart is so perfect that when you see the kittens taking a bath, you lick your arm and wash your face … and smile! 

I wish you lived in the perfect world that God had planned for us from the beginning.  In some ways I think you ARE blessed to live in that world and you get so frustrated with the rest of us when we try to make you live in our world.  I love that even when I have to say “No” to you – and you cry because you don’t like it – that you will come right into my arms and forgive me without wanting to hurt me or pay me back or do any of the things that most of the “normal” people do when they don’t like something.  I like that you sing…I love that you dance…I like that you smile at ants and flies and bugs.  I love that dirt and sand are some of your favorite things to play with and that a box can be a bed, a table, a boat or a wall of a house.  Your imagination is coming out and I watched you stirring all your beads and strings yesterday and cooking spaghetti…and you wanted to share it with me.

So as they “repair” your heart, I want you to know how much we all love your heart and we want you to stay just the way you are.  This very imperfect world is learning that little boys and girls – and grown women and men – who have Down syndrome are truly a blessing.  There are people in this world who think value comes from being perfect in monetary ways…smart, no medical needs, good homes…but you are going to help to teach them that value comes from something much deeper.  Value comes from unconditionally loving and caring for others…making you one of the most valuable people on earth.

And even though your heart really isn’t perfect, I know that your mommy will help you to know Jesus and He will make your heart perfect one day.  For today, I’ll just be glad when Dr. Leonard comes out and says he did the part God had planned for him in your life.

I love you and I thank God every day that He decided to let us learn what value truly is all about by blessing us with so many wonderful gifts…Holden, Orlando, Luke, Roman and Shannon.  Your “wee” and “geegee” are some of the richest people on earth!  Rest, little man, and give your heart and leg time to heal today.  I can’t wait to see you up and running and climbing and getting into things again.  I’m so glad I’m the grandma now!

Your mommy just got the call from the surgery room…thank You, Lord!  Everything’s going good so far!  You just do your part and get better.  Geegee loves you!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tonight I Met Jesus

I've Seen His Glory