Missions Diary

Day 1                     June 10, 2013

I think this mission’s diary really should start somewhere around 1969…when I saw and heard my first “live” missionary speak.  I was in sixth grade, living in Cross City, Florida.  I don’t remember a lot about that day but I do remember that as the missionary shared her story of her work in Africa that I felt my heart race.  I remember telling my parents that evening, “I’d like to be a missionary someday.  But I don’t want to go to Africa.  That would be too scary.”

It should include the summer of 1979 that was spent “on the mission field” of eastern Washington and Oregon as a summer missionary with the SBC.  It should include the summer of 1981 spent “on the mission field” of Long Island, New York.  It was the best and worst summer of my life…best because I learned to trust God completely…worst because I had to learn that lesson (weak smile). 

It should include the names of every adult that has had input into my life.  Dad and Mom gave me the opportunity to learn about missions.  GA leaders in my early years helped me understand that missionaries around the world needed prayer and support.  Sunday School and Vacation Bible School workers had input into my love for missions.  Visiting missionaries who took time to share their stories had an impact on my life.  Belonging to churches that loved and supported missions helped to develop this passion.   Pastors that cheered on the cause of telling the world should get credit for this day.

Most of all, God’s Word has led me down this path.  The exciting missionary stories of the early church… the Great Commission…the instruction…the encouragement…it all worked together to bring me to this day.

Today I made connection with the missionary-sending organization TEAM and their representative Tom Sampley.  I explained how God had been working in my heart…and in Dan’s heart.  I explained that we left a chunk of our heart in South Africa and we felt compelled by God to go back to that beautiful country and share God with the students at DBC.

Now we wait on the Lord.  We wait on His timing.  We wait on His leadership.  We wait on His providence. 

I’ve never been very good in the waiting period.  But it’s time to settle in because once the waiting is over there will be big changes to come.  I plan to spend as much time with my children and grand-children during this waiting period, because I’ll be moving away from them…far away…and I know I’ll long for their voices and giggles and charm.  I plan to be in God’s Word…sinking myself in it…covering myself with it…allowing it to challenge me to grow and be prepared for serving in a foreign land.

There’s just no way to really tell how this day changes our lives.  It won’t be just our lives that are changed.  I feel overwhelming emotion bubbling up inside.  I want to cry…I want to rejoice…I want to cringe a little at the thought of leaving family behind…I want to dance…I want to laugh.  I want to celebrate that obedience makes a world of difference in the life of a Christian.  No more running from what God wants me to do.  The mission trip starts today.
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tonight I Met Jesus

I've Seen His Glory