My "Rainbow" Days

 
Recently I helped someone I love dearly as she started to "journal".  She wants to get to know herself better...which I think might be a challenge for all of us...I know it is for me.  I gave her a "starter question":  What color would you use to describe your life?  From her description, I challenged her to dig deeper into the color she'd chosen...and that got me to thinking.

There's just no way one color would do for me...and because her heart is so like mine, she'd actually used one color as a blend of two.  But even two aren't enough for me.  So I took the colors of God's rainbow to describe my days, knowing that there's even more depth to my days because of all the hues and shades and depths of each color that make up my life.  I see my life in colors and hear my life in tones...I suspect that's why music and beauty take my breath away.

I've x'd out names for privacy reasons...and I've also x'd out my list of sins that you'll see, because that's pretty much between God and me.  But I challenge you...how would you color your life if it was a coloring page?

Red  -  A red day is an angry day to me.  It’s a day when I let people’s actions get to me.  Usually it’s a day of unfulfilled promises or unrealistic expectations that aren’t met.  Once a day starts red, it seems hard to get it to change colors.  I have to let the night come and sleep on it and move away from it to get a grip on it.  But falling asleep on a red day often proves difficult, because red days tend to make me focus on the problems instead of the solutions…and I mull things over in my brain too much…causing me to have difficulty drifting off to sleep.  Even my sleep will be restless…full of troubling dreams.  I do not like red days.
However, occasionally, when the grandchildren come calling late in the day my red can fade to a beautiful pink … usually because their silliness and laughter helps to mute the red.  Falling asleep after a pink evening is usually pleasant and I find myself smiling as I drift off to sleep.  Dreams consist of “visits” with people from my past who made my life better.

Orange – An orange day is usually a “happy” day.  When I think of orange days I think of activity.  Some “event” happens that gives the day a different flavor.  It can be something as simple as a ride through the countryside…a field trip with a grandchild’s class…a doctor’s visit.  Somehow orange days feel more purposeful…as if there’s a reason for my being here.  I like orange days.

Yellow A yellow day is a day or productivity and accomplishment.  It’s a day I can check things off my “to do” list because they’re finally done.  I always feel better when I can “see” that I’m not just floating through senselessness and laziness…but that I am accomplishing something and making    my mark on this world.

Green – A green day is a day of peace and rest.  It’s a day I’ve paid more attention to creation and all the beautiful things around me.  It might be a squirrel at play in a tree…a cat on the prowl…the way the wind sounds blowing through the dry leaves of the trees…the sparkle of the sun or moon on the river. It’s letting my spirit connect with God’s creative Spirit and appreciating how blessed l am to be a child of His.

Blue A blue day is a usually a day of thought for me.  There are days I find myself digging deeper in my Bible…thinking deeper…dreaming bigger.  Blue days are the days my thoughts try to work out any problems…restore any relationships…renew my energy…spend more time writing.  They are my planning days,    my organizing and preparation days.   These are probably my most common days…they appear to be get-nothing-done days…but they’re probably the days the most gets done!

IndigoAn indigo day is a dark day for me.  These days will probably have tears in them.  These are the days I choose to allow myself to grieve.  I grieve for the loss of life and love:  xx, xxx, xxxxxxx, xxxxxxx and many friends who already gone to be with the Lord.  These are the days I grieve for lost relationships that still hurt:  xxxxxxx, xxxxx, xxxxxx, xxxxx and any friend I may have lost out of hurt or misunderstandings that I might have been able to control.  These are the days I grieve for the painful places in my past:  miscarriage, divorce, cancer…things I could not stop from happening in my life.  These are the day I grieve for my many sins that have hurt God:  xxxxxxx, xxxx, xxxxxxxxxxx, xxxxxxxx, xxxxxxxxxxx xx xxxxxxx, xxxxxxxx xxxx xxxxxx xxxx, xxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxx xxxxx, xxxxxxxxxx and xxxxxxxxx…the list is long.  Because this description is longer, it may look like I have a lot of indigo days, but these days are under my control most of the time and I allow them and dwell in them only when necessary…and when possible, I never have two of them in a row.

Violet Like the seventh day, the seventh color, violet, is my color of rest.  It’s the day I rest in the beauty of my life.  I rest in the grace and forgiveness I don’t deserve but that God has given            because He chooses to love me so.  I rest in the love that surrounds me from xxx, from xxx, from xxxx, xxxxxxx and xxxxxxx xxx xxxxx, from xxxxxx, xxxxxxx, xxxxx, xxxxxxx, xxxxxx and xxxxxxxxx, from extended family, especially xxxxxx...and from my friends and the kids’ friends who have chosen to love me (and allowed me to love them in my lifetime).  I bask in friendships too numerous to count.  I dwell in the beauty of nature and all that makes life gorgeous.  I thrill to music that touches me in places nothing else can.  I like indigo days and I don’t just do them once a week…there are times I have weeklong indigo days!
God has colored my world in such a way that if I named every color that exists I could match it to a feeling...because I have so many feelings that rise from the heights of glory to the depths of despair.  I challenge you to look at God's colors in your world and enjoy knowing that He did that all for you...and me...and everyone He loves!!!
 

Comments

  1. The title you are entitled for this post is too good and excellent. I like it well. I would like to read more from here.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tonight I Met Jesus

I've Seen His Glory