I Choose Love


With snow on the way this weekend, it seemed appropriate to start prepping the porch for winter…and Christmas.  Thanksgiving will come and go quickly in a week…and this year we get an extra week to enjoy all that Christmas brings.

The Christmas season has somber moments now that I’ve reached the “Afternoon of Life”.  I’ve said good-bye temporarily to people that were part of my Christmas for over fifty years.  Now they celebrate the season in the Presence of the One Who made letting them go less painful…but not without pain.  There’s that moment when I hear Dad’s laughter in my sons’ voices…when I see Mom’s beauty in my daughter’s eyes.  There’s the wish that my grandchildren could have known the extraordinary love and wisdom my parents imparted while here on earth.  I know that they see Dan and me in the same way my children saw Dad and Mom…and I know that I just never feel like I measure up to her.  It’s not for not trying, though.

I sat for a few minutes on my porch swing tonight as the temperature seemed to plunge with the sun.  I watched the “evening star”, Venus, shining spectacularly over the mountaintop across town and wondered if my fascination with that star compares at all with the purpose of the wise men from the east that followed the star to Bethlehem.

And for a few minutes, I felt it…that “peace that passes understanding”.  In a world that appears to have gone berserk with anger…with filth…with hate…with lies…with misunderstanding…with fear…I felt peace.  That same star that guided the wise men to the One angels proclaimed would bring “Peace on earth, goodwill to men” became the focus of my heart.  And I was overcome with pure peace…that the world I live in does not have any of those horrible things in it.  My neighbors wave and say hello.  The clerk at the store smiles and wishes me well.  My millennial children have been raised with a foundation of values that helps them to recognize truth from satan’s lies.  My grandchildren will grow up loved, cared for, taught well and blessed because in my lineage were men and women who have trusted God’s truths through the years…and been found faithful to the end.

I have fretted and worried and grown angry at the pettiness of men when the one I should be angry with is the enemy of God who has lied and deceived and continues to divide and destroy.  But I was reminded tonight that God works in mysterious ways.  And no one would have believed that a baby born in a stable and laid in a manger would become the focal point for measuring time…would grow up to perform miracles…healing the lame…helping the blind to see.  No one could have known that night the baby would be worshipped by shepherds who would spread the news and light a fire that would continue to burn over 2,000 years later.  And no one had a clue that night the baby would one day lay down His life…so that I could have eternal life with God!!!

God works in mysterious ways.  If He can work with a baby born of “insignificant” parents in the history of men and women…if He could draw three “wise” men from afar to recognize His significance…if He could make twelve weak, every day men turn into bold disciples and witnesses that could grow a church that spans the globe today…I suspect he can use a man with funny hair and a foul mouth and a strange mind and a caring heart to do whatever God wants to do with this land.  We wait to see if God is saving our land…or judging our land.  But this I know…

I am praying for Donald Trump.  I am praying for Mike Pence.  I am praying for the men and women of the Senate and Congress.  I am praying for the members of the Supreme Court. 


And I am praying for my neighbors...especially the ones who live far away and continue to act out.  I choose to love despite their actions.  I choose to love despite their opinions of me and my faith.  I choose to love…and my world will continue to be a world full of “peace that passes understanding” amid the hatred and turmoil and sinful actions of those who feel differently.  May God bless America!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tonight I Met Jesus

I've Seen His Glory