The Least of These


Image result for Matthew 25:40

One of my children had a friend when they were in high school who has stayed in my life...popping in from obscurity every year or two.  Today I received a call from her and ma heartbroken to hear her life story in the past several months.  She is a young woman diagnosed with physical and mental disabilities... disabilities that did not show up till after she was out of school.  Dan and I attended her wedding several years ago...only to learn that within a year she and her husband were divorced (both of them had mental diagnoses).

She was in a group home in Buffalo the next few times I talked to her but left that home last year and moved to a home with her "girlfriend's sister"...and the sister's boyfriend...and kids.  In October, she "had words" with the sister - who promptly kicked her and her friend out into the streets...of Buffalo...in October! Since then the girlfriend has left her life and she has "survived" alone on the streets under the "protection" of another homeless young man who took her under wing because she "obviously didn't know how to live on the streets!"  In December, she and that same young man were able to rent a room in a home, but she took very little with her because the former friend's sister kept all the things she owned.

Sara is basically homeless…abandoned by her family…no support system.  She IS able to work and would like to interview for jobs, but she does not have any clothing appropriate for job interviews.  She wears a size 14 pant, an XL shirt/blouse and size 7 shoes.

I intend to put some items together to mail to her (or possibly drive up to Buffalo depending on how much I’m able to collect).  I would like to take a package to her by Valentine’s Day.  Sara does know Christ and believes God continues to watch over her.

My heart has been burdened this past year to help those who are unable to help themselves…to help our homeless community…to get “personally involved” and not just donate clothing and food and pray for them as a whole.  I cannot imagine the fears of a young woman living alone on the streets of Buffalo, and now living in an area that’s “not the best neighborhood”.  She’s so grateful for a room and a roof over her head…and “family meals” with the other residents of the house.

If you would like to help provide for Sara, I know she would be blessed.  She does receive a social security disability check…and over half of it covers her “rent” for the one room she has in the house.  The rest of it pays for food and toiletries.  She is not the type that will “sell” what’s given to her to get money for something else.  The one “selfish” request she made (according to her) was for a “body pillow”…because she has some autoimmune problems that mean she’s in pain quite often.  I will be providing that pillow for her.  If you have something you would like to provide just as a “gift” to cheer her up, I’m sure it would also be a blessing.

Pray for me as I reach out to Sara.  I don’t want to create another person who lives off of people…but I’ve never seen anything in Sara that would indicate she does that.  Her mental and physical illnesses are real.  She needs your prayers for protection and she needs someone nearby to come alongside to mentor her and encourage her…someone gifted to help Sara with her special needs.

Thank you for taking the time to read this blog.  You can message me on Facebook if you would like more information or would like to contribute to Sara’s gift package I hope to take to her next month.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tonight I Met Jesus

I've Seen His Glory