Butterflies for Africa

Butterflies for Africa
What a treat we had on Saturday afternoon when we drove about 30 miles west of Durban to visit a “Butterfly House”, gift shop, museum and art gallery.  My favorite part was, of course, the live butterflies that flitted around us as we walked through the house.  Above is the very beautiful blue morph.  It was difficult to get this picture.  They rarely rested with their wings open.  Below is a picture of them at rest…totally different!  Isn’t that just like our God…to show that the true beauty is on the inside!

Of course, if you’re into “brown”, you may think the outside of the butterfly’s as beautiful as the inside…but the blue was such a startling surprise when I first saw it.
We actually saw quite a rainbow of colors in the house…between the gold and white koi in the pond, the beautiful birds darting in and out of the foliage and sometimes brushing their wings against us as they flew past, the brilliant reds of the poinsettias (in June), the playful spider monkeys caged in a room next to the butterfly area, the creepy crawly treelimb-looking something-or-others (still shuddering at the thought a guide let them walk on his hand)...it was a feast for the senses.   Since I can only post 3 pictures per blog, here's a link to my Facebook album with a few more pictures from that day...be sure to notice the ice cream in caramel sauce.  I was very proud of Dan for putting it in his mouth...and I eventually tasted it and found it delicious.  But you'll see that it wasn't really appealing to look at (smile).  http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3842031602843.158478.1039652700&type=3#!/photo.php?fbid=3842035962952&set=a.3842031602843.158478.1039652700&type=3&theater
Church services yesterday were a blessing.  In the pastor's absence, the church treasurer spoke about giving...and it was one of the best sermons I've ever heard on giving.  He refenced the 8th and 9th chapters  of II Corinthians.  I'm not sure I've ever "paid attention" to these chapters, but they are a great description of how we are to give.  Describing the church at Macedonia, Paul wrote, "their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity."  I found myself trying to imagine having "overflowing joy" in the midst of "extreme poverty."  It's actually not hard to imagine here in South Africa.  We've seen beggars on almost every street corner, and they are not afraid to approach you on the sidewalk or in the stores to ask for money.  Our white skin indicates that we have more than they have.  My heart is broken when I look into their eyes.  Mismanagement of government funds, prejudice, unemployment and lack of jobs all contribute to the great poverty of this beautiful country.  It seems to be a land of extremes.  Yesterday we drove along Brighton Beach on the Indian Ocean.  Mansions line the tops of the bluffs (waterfront property that's not really "on" the water).  There are "decent" homes...and then there are the shanties or brick homes with no flooring.  Many sleep out in the open here.  I've been inland before where the lack of everything is prevalent.  And yet these people smile and share their joy easily.  Even today, Marcie has a maid that comes once a week to help with laundry and housekeeping.  She prepared breakfast for us...a sort of "grits" made from cornmeal and she will prepare a type of cornmeal polente for lunch.  She is delighted to share aunthentic Zulu food with us.  She will be paid a very meager amount for the work she does today...and she appreciates the opportunity to work.  I've found Flomencia to be delightful...and willing to try new things.  I shared my EggNog'n Tea with her today!  My heart breaks that she does not understand that she is an equal...she "serves" us as if she were a slave in our household.  She refers to Dan as "Mr. Boss" and I am "The Mrs."  I pray before we leave here in two months that she will know we love her and are delighted that God has allowed our paths to cross with hers.
We got to Skype last night with LeeAnne and Holden...and he delighted us with lots of animation...and then broke my heart when I told him it was time to go and he said, "No...stay!"  We then visited with Andy, Jen and Shannon.  She seemed puzzled as to what Geegee and Wee were doing inside the computer, but warmed up and played patty-cake and peek-a-boo with us before the call ended.  I continue to be amazed that we can serve God on the other side of the world and still stay in touch with our family.  We were unable to connect with Steve's family because they were traveling yesterday...I'm hoping we'll be able to put in a call later this week.
This morning I've been revisiting yesterday's sermon, catching up on e-mails and blogging.  It's about noon now and I need to work some more on lesson plans for next week.  Dan and I will be going out tonight for a special anniversary dinner...and I'm not sure what "event" we'll be doing on Wednesday, but something's in the works. 
Pray for the ministry of the staff at Durban Bible College.  Many changes are planned for the future and some will be moving to new ministries.  A lot is up in the air.  There seems to be some discouragement here and some frustration as the change approaches.  Marcie has shared that her heart has become hardened to the beggars on the streets because she's seen them abuse gifts of food that they beg for...she says the majority are trying to find money for alcohol and not for the food or family that they beg for.  I was surprised to see a billboard "Don't drink and drive!"  Apparently this is a worldwide problem and not just an American problem.
Marcie has also shared that America's reputation is not what it used to be in this country.  I experienced that earlier when a former DBC student posted something on Facebook that was rather hateful.  I called him on it.  I think Americans have got to step outside their comfort zones and begin to visit and respect and love the people of other countries if we ever hope to prove again what a wonderful people we are.  Our government, its failures and inactions (and actions) and especially our media have destroyed respect for our nation.  One has to travel here to South Africa - a land with the highest crime rate in the world and the highest AIDs rate in the world - to understand that these beautiful people are hurting and need the Lord.  We need to stop seeing countries of the world that are fed to us through media companies that have agendas and start to develop relationships with the people of the world.  It's what God first intended when Jesus commissioned us to go to "all the world". 
How big is your world today?
Increase my vision, Lord!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tonight I Met Jesus

I've Seen His Glory