Isibingelelo (Greetings...in Zulu)


Ngokuba uNkulunkulu walithanda iswe
kangaka, waze wanikela ngeNdodana
yakhe ezelwe yodwa ukuba yilowo nalowo
okholwa yiyo angabhubhi, kodwa abe
nokuphila okauphakade.

Ngokukajohane

I’m hoping the above looks as foreign to you as it does to me.  I’m sure if I added “3:16” after the last word, most of my friends would know immediately what it says.  In the beautiful, rich, deep language of the Zulu people, you are reading “For God so loved the world that He gave His Only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him might have everlasting life.”  John 3:16
The language is one of the first barriers that an American missionary would find if they came to South Africa to work with the Zulu people.  Cultural differences abound.  The foods we eat are different.  The clothes we wear are similar.  The homes we live in are very different.  Attitudes towards children are different.  But God’s love for the Zulus is the same as His love for Americans…and His Word contains all the guidance they need, as it does for us.  Why aren’t we rushing to share God’s love with them?
Yesterday a group of the students shared results of their “practical” experience (we’d call it a weeklong mission trip) to Wellbedacht, an incredibly poor neighborhood.  The homes were nothing but pieces of tin or wood somehow held together.  Holes were stuffed with material or anything pliable that could plug the hole.  There was no running water…no electricity…no furniture in some homes.  The adults and children sleep on the cold ground, shivering under threadbare blankets.  The children arrived each day for the Bible activities…noses running, faces dirty, stomachs aching from hunger.  And these precious students washed them up, fed them…and then shared that there was a God Who loves them like no other.  The students went into the homes to meet and witness to adults…some who had not heard of Jesus Christ.  When the team left to return to the college, 55 adults and 110 children had professed a saving knowledge of Jesus.  The prayer now is for consistent follow-up to help the new disciples grow.
I watched the slide presentation in awe…and horror…and distress…and blessing.  I thought, “That’s *REAL* mission work!”  I felt ashamed that I continue to live in warmth…without hunger…with running water and facilities…when so many have none.  Why in the world did I think my being here to teach these college students was “mission work”.  God convicted me almost immediately.  In my heart I felt Him saying, “You are making disciples of those who will carry My Word to their people.”  From this point forward, the investment I’m making in the lives of these students will give them training, knowledge…and I hope inspiration…so that they are able to continue working with the poor…the oppressed…the many who have so little.  I’m doing something that has “eternal value” and there just isn’t anything I’d rather be doing.
God is teaching me so many lessons here.  He’s spoken to me about the affluence that I live.  It’s funny…at home I’ve certainly never felt affluent.  I look around me at all the beautiful homes…beautiful clothes…beautiful “stuff” that so many have and it’s hard not to want the same thing.  It’s difficult to understand why I’m not *entitled* to my share.  But here…I feel almost sick.  I not only have my share…I’ve got enough to share with so many others that it’s ridiculous!  I’m ashamed of my selfishness and hoarding.  I’m ashamed that even after being here four years ago I went home and fell right back into the practice of grabbing all I could get.  It’s so hard to get rid of bad practices, but God’s giving me enough evidence to rid myself of the *stuff* of my life.  No wonder He has trouble getting my attention sometimes…there’s too much *stuff* in the way for Him to get through!
I long for the days of romance with God.  You know…those “first love” days.  I found myself watching this mission report and remembering when I had that kind of fire in my life.  My only desire was to serve God and let nothing get in the way.  But then life happened…marriage…children…school…illness… grandchildren…losing my parents…so many things that I let pull me away from the call of God to my heart to let the world know about Him – about His love for them.  There are children in Salamanca, New York, who need to know that life offers hope for a better future.  That better future CAN be in Salamanca, but most of our young people think they’ll have to leave town to find something better.  Instead, we need to make our town better.  We need to make it safer.  We need to make it friendlier.  I refuse to let the gambling crowd, the drug crowd, the lazy crowd win the battle for my town.  I will go home and let God lead me to make a difference at home…not just across the ocean.
Last night we went to Julian’s house (a former student here).  His older brother’s church was having their midweek service in the home.  Twenty-four people crowded in to the living/dining room/kitchen area.  We sang for about 20 minutes…the pastor preached…the church members prayed.  There was an older woman present who had buried her nephew and his two children yesterday.  She came straight from the funeral to church.  Where I live there’s a tendency to excuse ourselves from church after something that traumatic.  The young man that was buried had driven his vehicle with his 3- and 5-year old children in the backseat, into the harbor where all 3 drowned.  Only a month ago his father had been buried after dying from cancer.  This woman knew where to find her strength and her peace – in fellowship with other believers!  I need to stop making excuses for missing church and live the truth that it’s in the fellowship of my Christian family that my spirit is often strengthened and renewed.
We continue to enjoy new and unusual foods.  Last night our new food was grilled chicken… delicious, SPICY, grilled chicken. The emphasis really is on the SPICY because I thought flames would shoot from my lips after I took the first couple of bites.  The flavor was awesome if you put some potato in your mouth at the same time to help soften the blow of the curry powder.  We had curried beef and curried beans…can you tell the Indians love curry?  The food was delicious and Julian’s parents, Ronnie and Mano, were as gracious and welcoming as they were when I met them four years ago.  Dan got his computer and shared some pictures of them.  They have never experienced snow…so when Dan showed pictures of our home in the snow two years ago, they actually gasped!  It’s so much fun to watch people do something for the first time.
I gave my first “test” today…here they are called “assessments”.  In two weeks…six hours of class…we had managed to cover enough material for me to put together a 4-page test.  I didn’t think it was that difficult…but no one finished early.  I’m looking forward to grading them this evening to see if any of what I’m teaching is “sticking”.  Understanding “worship” and their need to help draw different kinds of worshippers together for corporate praise and worship is important for these young men and women who are preparing for leadership positions in future churches.
I continue to be amazed at the maturity of these Bible students.  They’re still teens and early 20’s, and that shows a lot in their laughter and joy.  But when it comes time to get serious, they get serious!  The young men that are training to be pastors lead the morning devotions each day and we are just so blessed at the truths they are pulling from the Scriptures that encourage and challenge us.  Today we were encouraged to “fellowship with the Holy Spirit”.  Thabni pointed out that you cannot share fellowship with someone who is dead.  The Holy Spirit is alive and longs to have fellowship with us.  Fellowship is not a one-sided relationship.  Both sides share and receive information.  I know I’ve always thought more of the Holy Spirit as the comforter and guide…but today I was challenged to accept and enjoy the fellowship of the Holy Spirit.
This has been a longer blog…so many things have stirred our hearts since I last wrote.  Sunday’s sermon was about reaching out to the lost.  Yesterday’s “practical” report was about reaching the lost.  In these final days we must make reaching the lost a priority.  We are running out of time to share the Good News with them.  WE MUST GO AND TELL AND MAKE DISCIPLES OF MEN.
Dan and I will rest at home in Marcie’s apartment this weekend as she heads off to Pietermaritzburg for a TEAM meeting with the other missionaries from school.  We’re trying to really enjoy these next couple of weeks because things will really be flying after that.  We are scheduled to do a 2-hour, fund-raising concert for the school on Friday, August 10th.  On Friday, August 17th we will help with the school’s Mission Conference.  On Saturday, August 24th, Dan will facilitate the “Lead Like Jesus” conference with approximately 50 pastors and students in attendance.  And the weekend after that we’re hoping to visit Krueger Game Reserve to spend the night with the rhinos and elephants and other wild, indigenous animals of South Africa.  Much to look forward to, but our weekends won’t be as restful.
I cannot write this blog without also sharing of a crisis on the homefront this week.  My beautiful daughter-in-law, Jennifer, suffers from mental illness.  Most of the time (approximately 355 out of 365 days a year), her medications help her to live a very stabilized life, one that we all enjoy.  She is an extraordinary mother to Shannon and a loving wife to my Andy.  But occasionally her medications get out of whack…and the result can be especially devastating for her…and those of us who love her.  In her pain this week, she called and asked me to come home and “adopt” her daughter.  She explained that she could no longer mother Shannon, and why.  I was heartbroken…and afraid that we’d have to turn our back on the call of God to come to South Africa.  I quickly sent out an “emergency” prayer request e-mail to many close friends…and then I told God I would have to trust Him with this.  We headed out the door to church.  Before the day was over, Shannon was in my daughter LeeAnne’s home…brother Stephen was lined up to help with babysitting duties when LeeAnne had to work…and two very good friends had stepped in to be an encouragement to my children.  I watched God show that He’s MUCH GREATER than the one that’s in this world seeking to devour and destroy families.  My daughter has amazed me…she’s continued to encourage us to stay and fulfill the call.  Jennifer is now receiving treatment in a hospital to help re-establish meds that will help her function again…and Shannon will go home with Daddy this weekend for some much needed daddy sugar…and I suspect daddy needs a lot of little girl sugar.  As a mother…I’m so proud of my children and so grateful to a loving God Who is a much better problem-solving parent than I could ever be!  Thank you to my beautiful, strong, amazing kids for handling the crisis with so much love and help for each other.  I’m so proud to be your mom…as always.
God answers prayer.  God carries us through storms.  God is faithful to provide.  God is the healer of what pains us.  God is God…a most high God…who created the universe and decided that loving me would be something else He’d do.  I’ve felt His love, His strength and His peace that passes understanding this week.  Thank you to all my friends and church family who have prayed for us.  I understand now where some of the missionaries find their strength…it’s in the faithful prayers of friends and loved ones.
God bless you all till next time!

Matthew 28:19-20:  “Go ye therefore, and teach all nations,
baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son,
and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things
whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you
always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.”

“Ngalokho hambani nenze izizwe zonke abafundi, nibabhapathize
Agameni lika Yise neleNdondana nelikaMoya oNgcwele,
Nibafundise ukugcina konke enginiyale ngakho;
Bhekani, mina nginani izinsuku zonke kuze kube sekupheleni kwezwe.”

Kngkukamathewu 28:19-20

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tonight I Met Jesus

I've Seen His Glory