Loving…Laughing…Making a Difference

Photo: PLEASE LIKE AND PASS ON✸✸✸http://pinterest.com/familyshare/
 
Today has been an odd day.  I think the adrenaline of an exciting week at VBS is wearing off and I find myself in that odd place between connection to reality and wanting to doze off from sheer exhaustion.  There were so many “highs” this week and it culminated with answered prayer this morning when I conducted my first SS class for 4th-6th graders.  I started praying in April that God would bring children to our church.  We had no SS classes for children except the occasional grandchild that came … and by occasional I believe there’s been a children’s SS class two or three times in almost five months!  So today thrilled my heart over and over and over again as children came in the door for SS and we made plans for how we’ll proceed in the coming SS year.  Did I laugh enough?  Oh, yes.  Joy, joy and more joy came shining through my smile and laugh this morning.  I especially enjoyed it when an older gentleman in my church commented to Dan, “If my hair lays flat and isn’t frizzy I consider that a good day!”  His hair might be a quarter-of-an-inch long…impossible to be frizzy.  The laughter that followed was a beautiful sound.

Did I love enough?  Heavens…I don’t think I could be more in love with the new children in my life who just want to know more about Jesus.  What a treat it will be to share with them the knowledge from the Scriptures of how great our God is and how much He loves them.  Yep…I loved today.  And then a special 6-yr-old showed up to play…and loving becomes too easy when he’s around (or any of the other beautiful grandkids that bless my life).  I’m loving watching football on the TV with my husband sitting nearby.  And I just plain love the man that keeps my life on an even keel and puts up with my quirks…so blessed!

Did I make a difference?  Today I stepped way outside my comfort zone and attended a “Celebration of Life” for someone I’d never met.  Dan and I wanted to support her husband in his time of loss, so we attended the family gathering meant to say goodbye to a precious wife and mom and friend.  It seemed too intimate a gathering to interrupt.  There were apparently some “different” family dynamics.  I first noticed the sheriff’s deputy standing nearby and wondered if they were anticipating trouble.  Later I realized that the woman’s son was sitting in shackles and handcuffs, apparently released from jail to participate in the service.  He seemed to be struggling with emotions during the service.  Another woman introduced herself and asked if any of the woman’s family was there.  I had to admit that I did not know the family well enough to answer her question, but I was able to point out a daughter that I believed could help her.  But perhaps the biggest shock was when an older gentleman showed up and I watched the woman’s mother go to him and say, “Come meet your grandchildren.”  He was introduced to granddaughters who were 18 and 15…and the young man in shackles.  He said to the 18-yr-old, “The last time I saw you I think you were about this tall” – indicating a child of preschool size.  It broke my heart to think those children had not had their grandfather in their lives for so long.  They didn’t even remember him.  Did we make a difference by attending this service?  I believe we did.  We showed our friend that we appreciated him and honored our connection with him.  It was not “easy”…it was not “fun”…but it was definitely “right” to honor that family with our presence.

So today goes down as a good day in my book.  I pray that God was honored as we walked through our day…His day…focused on Him and doing things that honor him.  I really want to not fall short of the glory of God in my days.  I want to consciously be aware that every act is an act of worship and honor and glory for the One Who loves me in ways I cannot fathom.  This was a good starting day for that goal.  I look forward to seeing Him more and more in my days…I hope you’re enjoying the same relationship with Him.

Photo: PLEASE LIKE AND PASS ON✸✸✸http://pinterest.com/familyshare/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tonight I Met Jesus

I've Seen His Glory