Facebook is a Funny Place


Facebook is a funny place.  As I read updated statuses, my thoughts go from a friend who’s getting her nails done at a salon…to a doctor I don’t know personally, but one of my friends knows, who will be having a kidney removed that’s likely got a cancerous tumor in it.  Someone else is looking for tires for a craft project, while another friend prays for a child facing surgery.  I then read of a friend visiting Florida who purchased her lunch in a grocery store and then walked behind the store to eat her fresh lunch on a beach by the ocean and warmed by the sun…while I’m staring out my window and the beautiful lake-effect snowfall that is so thick I cannot see my neighbor’s house.  A comedienne shares a delightful story of a visit to Hawaii with a friend who longed to see the crystal, blue waters….and finally saw the crystal blue waters in a toilet bowl!  A friend’s husband has a drinking problem…and they are separating for a while…and another friend thinks her little boy has his first crush. 
Facebook is an emotional roller coaster some days.  Facebook is a place where I am encouraged by God’s Word, shared to remind us where our strength comes from, only to feel my spirit attacked as word of another mass shooting in this world arrives in the very next status update.  It’s where we are “free” to share political cartoons and speak our two cents worth, only to get four cents back from other folks who disagree and want to change my mind.  One friend sends a reminder from God…another friend who is searching and angry is cursing and dispelling their own testimony of faith in God. 
Facebook is a window into people’s lives.  Sometimes I feel guilty for reading Facebook.  I feel like a voyeur in the lives of my friends, family and strangers I call friends but have never met.  I know things about many that I probably would not know without Facebook because we don’t share the miniscule details of our lives even with our friends and family.  I share what’s happening in my life, hoping to compound the joy or find someone who will help me carry my burden, but I truly wonder if anyone even has the time to care. 
Facebook is a revealing place.  I read messages and write down names of people and circumstances for which to pray.  I look for encouragement and inspiration and hope to share the same with others.  I worry about those who only complain but think they are hiding their complaints with nice pictures or sarcastic words.  They think they’re being tough…but all I see is hurt and loneliness.
Facebook is a lonely place.  Social networks seem to keep us so busy we don’t actually socialize any more.  I know I’d rather handle everything on the computer now and not have to get on the phone…or heaven forbid, meet in person.  I feel like I know more than I’ve ever known about others…their reading habits…their eating habits…their interests and hobbies - - - but I’ve never felt so detached from people in my life.
Facebook is a funny place…truly!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tonight I Met Jesus

I've Seen His Glory