Still Resolute



The magic number for my first week of trying to lose weight is -4 pounds!  I consider that a good number because my NutriSystem meals didn’t arrive until Thursday…so technically I didn’t really start seriously till then.  Also, we only had one night of working out at the YMCA.  We had the nicest trainer…Matt.  I was so embarrassed at what I could not do.  I’ve been fooling myself into believing that I wasn’t a total dweeb when it came to exercise, but I couldn’t do a lunge (because of a weak knee…but also because of the weight that poor knee has to bear).  And I couldn’t do one push-up…again…too much to push up!  BUT…on a positive note…I loved the machinery I worked on.  I did a sort of modified bike ride that moved both arms and legs for about ten minutes to warm up.  And there were several exercises I COULD do.  I enjoyed working with the large rubber bands (that’s what I call them…I’m sure there’s a real name for them).  And the pilate ball was cool…keeping balance on my back while raising and lowering my arms and holding on to small weights.  I was able to do crunches…shock, shock.  But the best was the weight machines…loved stretching out those muscles that my body had forgotten it had.

As I type this I’m thinking…are there any forgotten muscles in the church?  The church is a body of believers…and each believer has a specific function corporately that helps the body work.  What happens when the “muscles” of the church stop functioning?  I would assume the same thing that happens in life…atrophy.  Can you imagine how our bodies would function without our muscles?  How in the world is the church expected to function without those important muscles?  Maybe you are one of those who once served actively in the church…teaching preschoolers or children…hosting youth events…singing in the choir…serving as an usher or deacon.  But you’ve aged and “relaxed” and left your position open for someone younger to fill.  That would be great if young people were rushing the doors of the church.  But instead, young people are wondering why they should care when so many adults don’t care.  Are you a pew warmer?  Or are you warming the hearts of those who follow behind you so that they can learn to love the Lord with all their heart?  Maybe you’ve never actually flexed those muscles…it’s never too late.  If I can try to re-train my body after 40 years of being overweight, then certainly you can get the training to function as a strength in the church.

Okay…I’m off my soapbox now.  I want to make sure I don’t let my personal habits become part of my Christian habits.  Well…actually…that’s not true.  I’d like to be a dedicated, healthy, strong and joyful person…and that’s the same kind of Christian I’d like to be.  The discipline or lack of in our personal life often follows us in the doors of the church.  And so I work now to strengthen my personal habits so that I truly reflect the indwelling of the Lord at all times.

To that end I’ve also “hired” a “life coach” and am searching for ways that I can grow personally and continue to operate within the will of God.  One of the ways that God is working the death of my parents to good is the gift they left in the way of an inheritance that allows me to afford the tools to make the changes that need to be made.  I’m blessed in a way that many are not.  I would not need to make these changes had I honored God long ago and established healthy habits earlier in my life.  But mom has always prayed for me and wished that I were healthy…and I honor her now by using her gift to achieve that outcome.  I lose weight to honor God…to honor my mother…and to show respect for myself.  I ask all of you to pray that I’d continue to stay committed to those goals…and that these “blogs” will serve as a tool of accountability.

I’d also like to mention in this blog a wonderful opportunity that I’ve been enjoying as a Facebook Prayer Warrior.  I was asked to join the group when there were less than 20 members…and now almost 200 are available to pray when needs are expressed.  I know that Facebook often gets blamed for online bullying…for destroying marriages…for causing problems.  But I do love that in the midst of darkness a light shines through and I appreciate the gift of prayer support that I have through this group.  Please check out Ultimate Prayer Warriors on Facebook and join in the power of prayer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tonight I Met Jesus

I've Seen His Glory