The First Snow


This is God's Message: "If your sins are blood-red, they'll be snow-white.
If they're red like crimson, they'll be like wool.
If you'll willingly obey, you'll feast like kings.
But if you're willful and stubborn, you'll die like dogs."
That's right. God says so.” 
(Isaiah 1:18)
The Message

This morning as I watch the snow dramatically change the world I lived in just yesterday, I found myself thinking that this is the dramatic change that God makes in our hearts when we obey Him and accept His salvation gift.  Yesterday my world was not particularly pretty in any way.  Exposed branches dark against a ground covered in clutter.  Stark.  Unappealing.  Sad.  Dark.  There were a few leaves left clinging to the trees trying to add something nice to the vista…but for the most part it’s not a world that makes me want to go for a ride to enjoy the sights.

That’s how are lives are without Christ.  Our ugliness is exposed.  There’s so little that’s appealing about the loneliness and ache that we feel inside because we KNOW there has to be something more within and without.  We cling to the things that we think makes our lives look palatable.  We adorn ourselves with make-up and jewelry trying to feel better…but still knowing that something’s missing.  We purchase "pretties" and fill our lives with "things."  We surround ourselves with friends.  We party till the sun comes up.  And then we go home to a bed where we sleep restlessly, knowing we’re missing something.  This world offers no hope.  This world offers no peace.

And then comes the day that we step out in faith to accept God’s Word as true.  We acknowledge God’s Son as Truth.  And the snow falls!!!!

The ugliness is no longer visible.  Yes, the snow melts and we slip back into our old ways as we die to self.  Dying to self is a challenge.  I watched my mother physically die this summer.  She wanted so much to let go and find herself in heaven with her Lord and Savior.  But she had ties here, too, that called to her.  She was worried about her children and how her death would affect them.  I believe she was clinging till she could be sure that we would be okay.  And then there came that moment when her world changed dramatically…from this sin-filled, satan creeping, men-hating, warmongering world to perfection.

Nothing about God is boring or stark or dark.  Even with His still small voice He can calm the seas.  He speaks and worlds come into being…universes are created…death comes to life.  But nothing is so dramatic as the life that change's when he covers our sins and makes them white as snow!

I’m grateful this morning for the reminder that He changed me.  I need to be reminded that I’m not who I could have been.  There’s some darkness in my past that’s recently been exposed and I’ve been asking God to not just make it white as wool but to eliminate any power it’s had over me.  In God’s hands it’s no longer able to hurt me.    But it’s a dying-to-self thing that requires letting go…something I tend not to do well. 

Thank You, Lord, for Your still small voice that speaks to my heart from the snowfall.  Thank You for the opportunity to be a blessing in my grandsons’ lives today.  Be with Steve and Enith and their friends as they move furniture in the snow today.  Be with LeeAnne and Holden as they enjoy time together on their day off from school.  Keep Andy, Jen and Shannon safe as they travel today and be with Luke and comfort him and help him to grow healthy again from his chicken pox.   Thank you for friends and be with those who are facing ailments of all sorts today.  You know them by name, Lord…and You know their needs better than I do…I trust them to You today.

Lord, there are needs in this world today that are so big they can overwhelm me at times.  Be with our soldiers in harm’s way and protect and strengthen them in all that they face today.  There are nations of people who are starving and who live in fear of men who have reprobate hearts.  Send help, Lord, to meet their many needs.  There are children in homes where they are in danger…where they are not loved as the gifts You intended.  Protect them, Lord, and lead help to find them.  There are the many who are homeless and facing the elements of this world…who cannot work and earn the money to provide for basic needs.  There are so many, Lord, who do not know You…who do not want to know You…who have rejected You and live with a different set of values that makes them a danger to the world.  There are so many unborn whose lives will be terminated today in the name of inconvenience.  How Your heart must break, Lord, as You see the evil that has overtaken Your creation.  And yet You continue to strive with men…to give them more opportunity to make a choice to obey You and feast. 

Today, Lord, may You find me obedient to Your leading in my life.  Thank You, again, for the beautiful snowfall and for the reminder of how dramatically You’ve worked in my life!

I love You, Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tonight I Met Jesus

I've Seen His Glory