Gratefulness


I’ve watched many posting this month a list of things for which they are thankful.  I wish I was dedicated enough to stick with the one-a-day plan, but since I know I’m not likely to do that, I thought I’d blog my top 30 things for which I’m grateful (knowing, of course, that I cannot possibly list all of the blessings God’s poured my way for which I am most appreciative).

#1        I am grateful for a God who is big enough to create a universe, creative enough to fill it with an incredible variety of animals and changing leaf colors and individualized snowflakes…and still personal enough to want to have a relationship with me.
#2        I am grateful for a Christian heritage…parents who made sure I had the opportunity to know God personally…who modeled Jesus-like behavior in many ways…and who I will have the opportunity to see again and spend eternity with because we all share in the gift of God’s salvation through Christ.
#3        I am grateful for a godly, kind, patient, giving, striving-to-be-better husband who has taught me more about love and forgiveness than all the rest of the people in my life put together.
#4        I am grateful for healthy, strong, loving children who have been a blessing to me for over a quarter of a century…almost half my life.  They’ve made mistakes, but grown from them.  They, for the most part, treat the rest of the world with respect and kindness.  I continue to pray that they will find a stronger relationship with the Lord, but I trust that they belong to Him and that He will continue to protect and guide their lives.  I am also grateful for the two beautiful daughters my sons have brought into my life and I pray I can be a joy, comfort and source of wisdom for them as they continue to love my sons.
#5        I am grateful for five precious grandchildren who have filled my life with joy and hope.  I’m grateful for the time I have with them that could have been gone.  I am grateful for their giggles, their strength, their health and most of all for their enthusiasm for life and their innocence in a world gone amuck.
#6        I am grateful that I attend a Bible-believing, fundamental, conservative church that still preaches values and faithfulness to the Word of God.  It’s a place where I am challenged to grow closer to the Lord and I have an opportunity to explore the gifts God has blessed me with through the years.
#7        I am grateful for an incredible list of friends who have come in and out of my life through the years, teaching me, sharing with me, challenging me, putting up with me and most of all forgiving and loving me.  So many seeds have been planted in my soul because these dear friends cared to help me become the better person that God created me to be.
#8        I am grateful for my brothers.  One brother continues to be the apple of my eye.  His love for life, his sense of humor, the beautiful wife he brought into our family…all gifts that make my life better.  The other brother has taught me that decisions to reject God have horrible consequences.  I love them both but only trust one of them.  I’ve had to turn the other over to God because he has God-sized problems that I can no longer spend time worrying about.
#9        I’m grateful for extended family and the maturity to begin to realize how valuable they are and not just take them for granted.  I’ve discovered a wealth of wisdom and love in my many aunts who remain here…almost all of them have said goodbye to their husbands here on earth.  I’ve discovered some wonderful female cousins that I wish I’d fostered family with…but living so far away has kept me from doing so.  Nancy, Jan and Robin…I love you more than you’ll ever know.  Pam, Suzanne, Lauren, Cheryl and Sharen…how I wish I lived closer because I know you’d all be precious gifts in my life.
#10      I’m grateful for my education.  There was a time I thought a college degree was really worthless… and maybe even now I’m not certain of the monetary value of it.  But I do know this…my ability to complete my Masters degree changed how I felt about myself and that’s “priceless” (as the commercial says).  I’d always known I was smart…but others did not know it.  Now I have a piece of paper and the 4.0 GPA to prove it.  It also earned the respect of my parents.  If I’d known it would do that, I would have completed it long ago (smile)
#11      I’m grateful for Christian radio.  We have an incredible station here in western NY (and also on the web at FLN.org…listen in sometime).  I’m grateful for the way it helps me to stay focused on Christ and for the messages that challenge me.  My van becomes a worship center when I’m alone with the radio…God and I have done a lot of talking there.
#12      I’m grateful for medical professionals and the wisdom God has given them to help us survive in a world of sin and sinful consequences.  In disobedience we sometimes do things that bring harm to our own bodies…smoking, drinking, over-eating…and all of these addictive behaviors harm us.  I’m grateful for the many doctors, nurses and technicians that have worked with me and continue to work with me to straighten up my life and the mess I’ve made of it.
#13      I’m grateful for my van.  Having spent the past year without transportation (except for the incredible help of our children) has made me realize how I take it for granted when I have it.  Now I thank God every time I get in the van to go somewhere and don’t have to depend on someone else for help.
#14      I’m grateful for the home in which I live.  It’s not fancy.  It’s not remarkable in any way.  But it’s so full of love and warmth and laughter and comfort and rest.  I can’t entertain there…but I can find peace there.  That makes it very special.
#15      I’m grateful for the community of Salamanca.  The beautiful, natural setting of the town feels good when I return.  The people are kind for the most part.  Living with a second culture is an opportunity I didn’t have since leaving Canada as a child…and I love that too.
#16      I’m grateful I’ve had the opportunity to travel and see this beautiful country that I’m blessed to call home.  Washington, Oregon, Colorado, Canada (okay…not this country, but part of me), Alabama, Florida, Louisiana and now New York…so many unique places with blessings of their own.  I’ve seen most of the lower 48 states and hope to see all of them before my life here is finished.
#17      I’m grateful for the incredible trip I took to South Africa and the friendships that began there and continue to this day.  I’m grateful that I can continue to minister through prayer for my SA friends and their ministries.
#18      I’m grateful that we’re in a position to adopt a child through Compassion International and know that we are making a difference in Kanini’s life.  It’s a way to “pay it forward” and share the many blessings of our nation with those in a nation not succeeding as well.
#19      I’m grateful for cancer.  Cancer drew me so much closer to God and taught me that I could depend on Him and that I didn’t have to make life happen.  I’m grateful that cancer allowed mom to join dad quickly and not have to spend time alone here.  I’m grateful that Rick and Shawna will walk with God through cancer (again) and we will see God work miracles and plant seeds in the lives of people that would not know Him without this adventure.
#20      I’m grateful for the mistakes of my life.  I can be grateful only because I’ve given them to God…the one who “works all things to good”.  I look back at my life and see how everything… EVERYTHING…has been used by Him.
#21      I’m grateful for little finds that make life special…Linger Longer (a Christian coffee shop where I’m sitting and writing this between doctors’ appointments), The Old Thyme Mercantile with all the little primitive doo-dads that I love…for butterfly teacups that make me smile.
#22      I’m grateful for my love of reading and the incredible growth that I’ve obtained through excellent books that have challenged me, blessed me…and sometimes made me sad.
#23      I’m grateful for music…singing…playing piano…listening.  My life has been enriched because God gave me a love for music that I find few share.  I love all kinds of music…even music that doesn’t sound great but comes from a heart of joy.
#24      I’m grateful for my computer…for social websites that allow me to stay in touch with friends…for information at my fingertips.
#25      I’m grateful for friends who slip back into life unexpectedly and demonstrate that God works in wonderful ways to mature us and allow us second chances at friendship when we missed the first time around.
#26      I’m grateful for Tevye, Laylee, Elkie and Minnie…the dogs and cats that spoil me and love me unconditionally…that make me laugh…that smother me in licks (all of them)…and that make my life more beautiful because they’re part of it.
#27      I’m grateful for today and the hope I have of something special happening before I lay my head down on my pillow.
#28      I’m grateful for the hope of tomorrow and all that God has in store for me.
#29      I’m grateful for holidays like Thanksgiving that call us back to what should be a normal part of every day of our lives…for Christmas that reminds us of what life is all about…and for Easter which reminds us of our future hope.
#30      I’m grateful for me…for the decision I made to allow God to work in me…through me…around me.  I’m grateful that I contribute to life in positive ways.  I’m grateful that many describe me as “bubbly” and “effervescent” and “a breath of fresh air”.  I’m grateful that the world has not been able to rob me of the joy of God’s salvation!  I thank God for creating me and allowing me to be part of His purpose here on earth.  I hope this doesn’t sound completely self-centered…I just know I feel good about myself sometimes…this happens to be one of those times.

So there it is…thirty things I’m grateful for.  I would challenge everyone reading this to do the same…to  write down your blessings and see what God has done!  I know I’m feeling incredibly rich right now!

Comments

  1. Nice list! I think you have fulfilled the 'in all things give praise' command.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tonight I Met Jesus

I've Seen His Glory