Fall Afternoon Reflections


Fall afternoons have sounds that we don’t get to hear the rest of the year.  The dry leaves brushing against each other in the breeze.  The sound of children’s voices playing a pick-up football game across the street.  The distinct “thump” of a foot making contact with the pigskin.  The deep squeak of school bus brakes.

I don’t remember the last time I listened to children playing unsupervised by adults.  That’s almost unheard of nowadays.  On the playground at school they’re supervised by their teachers.  After school they seem to all be supervised now by coaches.  But there’s a different sound in their voices when they get to make up the rules.  I keep expecting to hear arguments.  Voices rise for a moment…and then there’s the sound of young boys giggling…yes, giggling.  Somehow all seems right with the world when young boys are giggling.

I love living in this small town.  I love the sun when it peeks through the clouds… because it seems that most of our days are cloudy.  I enjoy the shadows that set earlier in the day as the sun now dips on the horizon so much more prematurely than in the height of summer.  I love the cool, calm comfort of a fall breeze that carries a hint of change in the air.  I love thinking about that first evening when the temps will be cool enough to cook a big pot of chili on the stove.

Fall is my favorite season for a lot of reasons.  Football…foliage…friends…food…and my favorite holiday will be here soon.  Thanksgiving. 

Thanksgiving this year will be different.  No longer will I pray that my parents are enjoying their day.  Dan and I won’t need to travel to Louisiana to make sure mom is not alone for the holiday.  Thanksgiving will always include praising God for the heritage of the wonderful families in which my roots are buried deep.  But now Dan and I are top of the line for my children and grandchildren.  We’re the wisdom carriers…what a frightening thought.  Who do I turn to now for the wisdom my children and grandchildren (and maybe great grandchildren some day) will need?  That’s easy…

Psalm 121 (The Message)
A Pilgrim Song
I look up to the mountains; does my strength come from mountains? No, my strength comes from God, who made heaven, and earth, and mountains. He won't let you stumble, your Guardian God won't fall asleep. Not on your life! Israel's Guardian will never doze or sleep. God's your Guardian, right at your side to protect you - Shielding you from sunstroke, sheltering you from moonstroke. God guards you from every evil, he guards your very life.  He guards you when you leave and when you return, he guards you now, he guards you always.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tonight I Met Jesus

I've Seen His Glory