Mission Impossible


My absence this summer from my wonderful husband made me determined that one thing would change when we came home.  I was committed to finding or scheduling “Dan Time”.  Dan is the least selfish person I know in this world.  He does so much for so many and asks absolutely nothing in return.  But I knew his heart’s desire would be that I would WANT to be with him…not just that I’d be with him because we’re married (sad smile).  So while we were together in Louisiana I suggested he pick one day of the week and we would commit that day to *US*.  No babysitting…no coffee with the girls…we would try to avoid conflicts so that we could focus on us.  It might mean we clean house together.  It might mean we go for a long (expensive…sigh) ride together.  We might plan something special…or we might just veg out together.  But it was going to be about us…and being together.  Being apart for so long this summer truly did make the heart grow fonder…I want my husband to myself sometimes.

On Monday we picked “the day”.  Thursdays would now be “Us Day”.  We agreed that if we had responsibilities we would remain committed to them…but if we could avoid interferences we would do so.

So tomorrow is Thursday.  And here’s how “Us Day” looks so far (sigh).

Holden will arrive at 7:15 and be with me till 2:45 because he’s sick.  LeeAnne’s been in the emergency room with him this evening.  His x-rays are clear, but it’s obvious his respiratory problems are back…runny nose, watery eyes, hacking cough.  We just love when the seasons change…but poor little guy…it’s not a good time for him.  I decided it was okay to keep him though because Dan sees his doctor tomorrow and has physical therapy in the afternoon…and the last time his PT lasted almost two hours.  So…if we work things just right…our “Us Day” is really going to be US-five-hours.

I’m trying to decide if satan just is messing with us or if it’s just plain difficult to set aside time to focus on each other.  We know that God gifted us with each other.  We want Him to know that we appreciate the gift.  But life sure seems to want to interfere. 

I keep thinking that a week ago we were able to seclude ourselves on a mountaintop for a couple of days…maybe we used up our “Us Day” last week.  But if anyone out there has a clue for how to set aside time to make your mate feel special…and it’s something that can be shared in public…I’d sure love some input.

I love my husband.  I love that I can say I love my husband.  I love God for working a miracle in our marriage.  One of the things that many people commented on at my mother’s visitation and funeral was the love that she and dad shared.  You know, I saw that love in public and at home…and I know they had to work on loving each other sometimes.  I’m willing to do the work…but I’m feeling a little like I’m in the unemployment line right now because there’s no time available.  Pray for us…our love is stronger now than it’s ever been…and we want to keep it that way.  But it sure feels like making each other a priority is mission impossible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tonight I Met Jesus

I've Seen His Glory