Darkness


Tonight I saw the lump where a tumor is growing in my mother’s lower back.  It was midnight and she was lowering herself on to the portable potty that was delivered today…and there was no mistaking the bulge in her lower back.  I was shocked…it was not there yesterday.  How fast is this thing growing…and is this the reason she has been so uncomfortable for the last few days?  And why do things like this happen in the middle of the night.  Darkness is the place of fear…and I came back to bed afraid.  I was afraid for her and what this may mean…I was afraid for me and what this may mean.  How will we keep her comfortable if these things are growing like this?   The questions came and the darkness started to fold in … not just the room but into my heart.  And I knew Who and where to turn to for comfort.                                     
I’m so grateful for biblegateway.com that makes searching the Scriptures easy.  You can search 3 ways: 1)by specific verse, 2) by specific word, or 3) by a topic.  I went to the word search and looked up “darkness” hoping that I’d find comfort … and I did!

2 Samuel 22:29
You, LORD, are my lamp; the LORD turns my darkness into light.

Job 12:22
He reveals the deep things of darkness and brings utter darkness into the light.

Psalm 18:28
You, LORD, keep my lamp burning; my God turns my darkness into light.

Isaiah 58:10
and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday.

Psalm 112:4
Even in darkness light dawns for the upright, for those who are gracious and compassionate and righteous.

John 1:5
The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness. has not overcome it.

John 12:46
I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness.

2 Corinthians 4:6
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of God’s glory displayed in the face of Christ.


I was reminded as I read these verses that darkness has no power over light.  The darkness cannot penetrate the light…but the light can make darkness disappear.  If Jesus is my light, then darkness has no power in my heart…for His Light shines to erase the darkness.  And I turned my fears over to Him … praying that He’d do the healing (she will live inside a perfect, whole, restored body soon).  I turned my fears over to Him – trusting Him to give the strength needed for what lies ahead…that He’d be strength in my weakness.  I turned my fears over to Him – knowing that He is the only one that can handle them properly.

Fears come because satan is at work…peace comes because God is at work.  And I am ready now to rest my head on my pillow and accept the gift of sleep.  Thank You, Lord, for promises and the faithfulness to fulfill them.  Tonight I trust You with all that troubles my soul and I accept Your peace that passes understanding.  Again I can say…it is well!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tonight I Met Jesus

I've Seen His Glory